This morning (Thursday-I posted this a few days after I wrote it.) we were getting ready to go to an Easter party at our friend's Preston and Caprice's house. As we were getting ready, the Lord convicted my heart through my daughter just as He does quite often; however, this time was particularly strong.
I was brushing her hair when she turned around and complimented my shirt. She asked if I would buy her one when she became a "grown up". I laughed and told her I'm sure I'd buy her some clothes when she was a "grown up". She said, "I want a shirt like yours and pants and glasses." When I explained that it wasn't really fun to have glasses and that I hoped she would never need them (fat chance!) she leaned forward, grabbed my arms and said, "but Mommy, I want to be just like you when I grow up!"
Nothing like those words to slap you in the face. Yes, they were a compliment, and although I know right now it probably means she wants to wear my clothes, jewelry, and make up, I must always remember I'm modeling everything for her. Even at the moment I'm writing this, she too is on "her computer". I posted about something similar last year (Little Feet Behind You). Knowing they are watching us at every moment is sometimes really intimidating, but I guess it's kind of like accountability.
This might also be a good time to post about the book club I was in back in January (I still have the link in the sidebar.) We read Five Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter by Vicki Courtney. I was fantastic. I highly recommend it for both moms and dads of girls of any age. She keeps her blog up to use as a resource for parents to see how to make each of the 5 conversations age appropriate from age 2 all the way to 22. Although some of the facts she gave were shocking and it confirmed to me even more how much we must communicate with our kids, I did enjoy it and felt blessed by it.
I just pray I will be an example of Christ to my daughter so she will want to be like Him, not me.
1 comment:
A book and a category I need to pay attention to now (raising girls).
Post a Comment