12.09.2009

Josie's Prayer Life: Part 2

Today we have a new installment in the prayer life of my (brand new) 4-year old (click here for Part 1). My babies have officially turned 2 and 4. I can't believe it. It has gone so fast, but I love these new stages (most of the time) because with them comes new and better forms of communication. Josie has always been a very clear communicator. She is very verbal and has no problems telling/showing you how she feels or what she thinks.

This morning was our well check appointment for both kiddos and (dun, dun, dunnnnn) shots. Historically, Josie seems to respond better when she is prepared for things; so all morning Josie and I talked about what to expect at the doctor's office. She knew he would check her heart, eyes, ears, nose, etc. and ask her questions. I wanted her to be prepared to answer him when he asked her questions and not retreat into my shoulder.

Then we talked about shots. We discussed how God gives us medicine to help us get well or to stay healthy. (I know there's debate about vaccines, so you don't have to tell me that.) I explained that sometimes to get stronger or stay healthy we have to do things that might hurt a little, but that it was OK and the pain wouldn't last forever. We also prayed and I told her she could pray when the nurse gave her the shot.

After the doctor finished the exam and wrapped up his conversation with Wesley about deer hunting, he left and the nurse returned caring 5 needles--1 for Caleb and 4 for Josie. Ugggh. Caleb went first and he was very distressed afterwards so I held him and sat in the chair. When it was Josie's turn she laid down on the exam table and Wesley held her arms while the nurse held her legs. Then Josie looked at me and said, "Mommy, will you pray for me?" My heart melted.

So, Caleb and I bowed our heads and prayed for Josie. Next thing we knew the nurse was done and Josie never made a sound. She popped right up and examined her band aids calmly. We were all in shock. I was about to cry and the nurse was amazed. She said she would call Josie "Amazing Grace" from then on and then the nurse started crying! We all said, "Praise God! Josie, He answered our prayers to make you brave and strong!"

This evening Wesley and I talked about it again--both of us in tears. He told me as he was holding her he looked at her face and could see the sincerity and faith in her eyes that God would help her if we prayed.

We pray that that her faith would continue to grow and be even stronger in the face of pain. Praise be to God for our little prayer warrior--may she always be brave and strong in the Lord!

1 comment:

The Gist Fam said...

What a testimony to the nurse! You guys are doing an amazing job of teaching Josie and Caleb about prayer. It would have been so easy to just hold her hand and tell her she could have a treat afterwards instead.