5.27.2010

Feast of Purim

February, 2010


I've always loved studying about the ancient Jewish feasts and have come to see that God wants us to have a great time in life! The first 5 books of the Bible, sometimes referred to as "The Law", sets out very specific details for the ancient Israelites' to celebrate! I know as a Christian I am not held to the commands that I follow these feasts and celebrations, but I find it fascinating that God thought it was so important to gather with other believers and celebrate--to remember the amazing things He had done for His children, that He commanded it!

Wesley and I hope to occasionally utilize some of these celebrations in our own family and to create not only wonderful memories of having a blast as a family, but also to teach our children of what a mighty and faithful God we serve.

Last year I had the pleasure to do a Bible study on the book of Esther (written and taught by Beth Moore) with some friends from church. The study was such an encouragement to remind me that even though we can't see God, He is always at work around us. It also fueled my love for the Old Testament and the Jewish heritage that Christians can take part in.

Even though Purim isn't one of the original feasts found in the law, it is still a wonderful holiday that we can enjoy. Purim is a celebration of God's deliverance of the Jews against annihilation. Think Nazis in ancient Persia, but the holocaust was avoided because in His mercy He used a young woman, Esther, to save the Jews. If you're interested you can read her amazing story in the book of Esther in the Bible.

This year we were excited that we were babysitting our nieces on Purim in February. We had our own twist on the celebration, so we didn't celebrate it exactly according to tradition, but we still had a great time. We read the story, made cookies and cut them out in the shape of a star ("Esther" means "star"), the girls dressed up as princesses, they made crowns, and we acted out the story. Here are pictures of our fun day. I hope you enjoy!









Caleb played King Xerxes





Esther (Hannah, in white), and her ladies' in waiting






The cast of our little perfmormance (except for me). Wesley was the evil Haman. I played Cousin Mordecai.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my favorite is Caleb on his throne as king!