12.21.2010

A Few of My Favorite Christmas Songs

Here are a few videos of the songs I absolutely have to listen to over and over around Christmas. Only one is an "official" video and the others are the least cheesy that I could find. I hope you'll take some time to listen to the words.









The next song is probably my favorite.





I think these songs in particular speak to my heart the most because they don't leave Jesus as a baby. In each song a different aspect of His life's purpose or mission is shoved into the forefront.

The first song praises God for sending our Savior, our Rescuer, our Hero. He is the One who has come in and offered "freedom for the captives" (Isaiah 61:1). To bring freedom automatically means that there was a previous state of captivity. We are all captives.

You disagree?

Have you ever felt pain?
Have you ever been angry?
Have you ever been frustrated?
Have you ever lied?
Have you ever been rejected?
Have you ever been devastated?
Have you ever hurt someone else?
Have you ever hated anyone?
Have you ever been selfish?

Yes?
I have.

We are all captives.

The second song is a reminder that Jesus chose to leave His throne in Heaven. Have you ever really thought about that? Heaven???!!! It's the place of

perfection
beauty
peace
ever increasing joy
adventure
contentment
wholeness

and where Jesus was adored and praised at all times. He left knowing when He came here He would experience everything we do:

pain
sorrow
sickness
rejection
temptation
even death

The residents of Heaven must have been dumbfounded. They must have been heartbroken...the Light of Heaven would be wrapped in flesh and (in a way) hidden from their eyes. The King was riding out to war.

I recently listened to a talk by one of my favorite teachers (Ben Stuart) in which he discussed the ultimate reason Jesus came to earth. He said when he thinks of Christmas one word comes to mind: "Destruction". He came to do war.

Not war on people.

He came to do war on sin, pain, disease, hate, selfishness, pride...the list goes on. He came to destroy the one who is the father of all these things. 1 John 3:8 says this, "...The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil." He is as real as that list and he is the one who holds us captive.

The third song tells the whole Story...even the part that has not yet come. It tells of His choice to die our death (Romans 6:23) so that we could live with Him in Freedom. It sings of the glorious day that He rose from the grave and had Victory over His Enemy. Death is the most powerful thing the Enemy can dish out and Jesus took it and overcame it!!! And it foretells of the beautiful day He will come back. I can barely listen to this song without crying. I can't believe He did this for me and for you! He loves us so much!

If you haven't received His love, I hope and pray you will now.

He loves you.
This is real.
This is true.

He doesn't promise us an easy life, but He promised us that He'd never leave us. Praise God for His great Faithfulness.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: