Well, we are just a wee bit shy of the two month mark since I went into the hospital. Several of you have asked how I'm feeling and what the recovery has been like since surgery.
First off, thank you! Thank you for asking and checking on me. Thank you for your continued prayers and your encouragement--even this far out from the event itself. We were so blessed by those of you who called, texted, prayed, brought yummy meals and gifts. (The girls at work all pitched in and even gave my kiddos gift cards to Build A Bear!) I'm still getting prayer cards from my parents' church (shout out to Meadowbrook BC!)...making me feel so loved.
Since I posted about our adventure, much of our time has been directed toward doctors' appointments, trips to the pharmacy, a follow up surgery, more appointments, more medicine--and oh, don't forget the sexy compression stockings!
One of our first nights back to Life Group after everything happened, someone asked how long I have to wear my stockings. I smiled and looked at my friend/surgeon (Dr. T.) across the room who answered for me, "everyday...for-ever." It was actually really funny.
I wear them ALL most of the time (just being honest). I only have one pair at the moment and they do need to washed occasionally. I haven't felt like dropping a fortune on another pair just quite yet, although my days are numbered.
Don't let the "sheer and soft" deceive you. They are NOT SHEER, nor are they soft. I look like I bought a bad can of self tanner at a garage sale and decided to put it ONLY on my legs.
But believe it or not, I actually feel better at the end of the day if I wear them than I do when I don't wear them. It's also given me an excuse to buy some new clothes. As much as I know the stockings are helping, those suckers are H.O.T. especially here in our Texas summer. I've decided that Maxi skirts and dresses are my new best friends...especially right now. I bought a couple of Maxi skirts and I've found some DIY patterns on Pintrest that I might try. We shall see.
Mid May I had a follow up surgery to remove my IVC filter (an umbrella skeleton looking thingy they put in the main vein that goes to my heart in case a blood clot breaks through). During the original surgery in Dallas they put it in through a vein in my leg (which led to other issues, i.e. The Clamp). Our friend, Dr. T. was doing the surgery (Hallelujah!) and we all knew I was in great hands.
Because of the way it's shaped it had to be removed by inserting a wire/hook into my neck, through my HEART, into the IVC then pulling it out. Yuck. Yes, I was awake. To say it feels really WEIRD when something goes through your heart is an understatement. Dr. T. let us keep the filter. I really didn't know it was that big. And when we looked closely, we noticed that it did it's job very well--PRAISE GOD!
(SPOILER: If you get grossed out easily, don't look below!)
(That's Wesley's hand.)
Wesley and I actually met Dr. H. and his wife at a dinner party exactly one week before everything happened and I went to the hospital. I even told Wesley that night on the drive home, "If I ever need to go back to a hemotologist, I want to see him." And guess who Dr. T. recommended? Yup. God is so good!
As lightly as I'm making some of this sound, I'll be truthful, I haven't had the best attitude the whole way. When I would complain about my shots, how expensive the meds or my stockings were, how much work I missed, how tired I was, how big the hospital bills would be or how itchy the stockings are my husband has been the one to remind me of truth.
He holds my face in his gentle hands, looks me in the eye and reminds me that if this had happened fifty years ago I might not be alive.
He reminds me the money doesn't matter.
He reminds me of those of you who have constantly been there for us.
He reminds me that GOD'S GRACE IS ENOUGH.
He reminds me to REJOICE IN THE LORD ALWAYS.
I love that man.
And I love all of you.
Again, thank you for your continued prayers, encouragement, and support.


No comments:
Post a Comment