Howdy! If this is the first time you've visited my blog, welcome! My name is Paige Brooks. I am privileged to be a wife to Wesley, mom to a pair of amazing kiddos, and part-time Physical Therapist Assistant. I am a lifelong learner and I am passionate about sharing what I learn through writing or teaching.
I am very thankful to my dear friend Elizabeth Oates for tagging me in this Blog Tour. Because our children are very close in age, we have spent many hours together laughing, crying, encouraging and praying for one another--especially during those early years of motherhood. She has been a huge encouragement to me in many ways, but particularly as a writer.
A gifted author and speaker, Elizabeth is serious about seeing marriages and families thrive. You can check out what she’s working on here: www.elizabethoates.com
What are you working on?
- www.barefootbiblestudy.com :: My new website, currently under construction. I’d love to tell you that I immediately thought of this name for my website after reading the passage about Moses removing his shoes as he approached the burning bush or the story of how Jesus told Peter he had to allow Him to wash his feet, but, alas, no. It is nothing so spiritual. If you are really dying to know where the name came from you’ll just have to come back for the launch!
The whole purpose of the site is to provide people—but particularly women—with resources and tips to study Scripture. It will also be a place for us to process through the whole concept of loving God with our whole being—with special emphasis on loving Him with our minds.
- Immeasurable Life: A Study of the Letter to the Ephesians :: I had the great joy of writing this Bible study a couple of years ago—but it only continues to grow! This fruit of God’s faithfulness blossomed out of a wilderness season in my life. He has allowed me to teach it three times—twice for women in my own church community and once in my own home. Currently, a modified version is being used by a college ministry (for young women and men) in Houston, Texas under the name Rooted: A Study of the Letter to the Ephesians.
- Investig8 Life with Jesus :: When my husband and I offered to teach the “New Believer’s Class” for children at our home church, we never imagined we’d have so much trouble finding material that truly addressed what we believed to be so crucial to a child’s understanding of the Gospel and the Christian life. So, we wrote our own! We have now taught the class using the material three times and are constantly trying to clarify and nail down what the kids really need to understand about a relationship with Jesus—all without compromise or watering down the Truth.
How does your work differ from others of its genre?
I’ve loved writing since I was a child. Whether it was creating picture books or even writing papers in English class, I could easily be found happily hiding in my room under a pile of loose leaf paper or college ruled spiral notebooks.
Over the years I’ve begun to see a few themes appear in my writing no matter the topic. One of these themes is learning to use Genesis (particularly chapters 1-3) as the primary lens through which to study Scripture. This perspective has not only had a huge impact on the way I read and study the Bible, but it has also facilitated and fueled a greater passion for God.
Why do you write what you do?
I believe lives are changed by the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and although women’s Bible studies are a dime a dozen these days, many of them seem to lack depth and sound theology. I hope the writing God allows me to produce will teach and challenge women, but more than this, I want them to know they (through the Holy Spirit) are fully capable of studying Scripture for themselves. And how do I know they are capable? Because God enabled me to as well!
I haven’t been to seminary (although it is a dream!). I’m an ordinary girl—a full-time wife and mom with a part-time day job—but I’m an ordinary girl who is hungry to learn about and fall more in love with the God of the universe! I dream of equipping other ordinary women to find satisfaction for their soul in the Word.
How does your writing process work?
It is not unusual for inspiration to slap me in the face at any time—10:48 a.m., 8:24 p.m., or even 2:39 a.m. (This one seems to be God’s favorite time to inspire me…usually by waking me from a sound sleep.) I can’t always spend time on the ideas right away since I might be at work or taking care of my family. I have multiple notebooks in which I scribble thoughts, I use the Notes app on my phone, or I type them in my “Idea Folder” on the computer. I jot ideas down with at least some context and detail so when I do revisit the idea I am less likely to wonder what in the world I was thinking.
My husband and I have agreed that it is important for me to have uninterrupted writing time and the best time right now for our family is Sunday nights and Thursday nights after everyone goes to bed. Since I have set this time aside—and especially with my husband’s support—I have been more productive and focused than I have ever been before.
So, who’s next?
Kristen Bennett is a senior public relations major at Baylor University. This chick is hilarious and brilliant! I first met her when she was a freshman at Baylor. In her very own words, she “enjoys music, reading, writing, traveling, people-watching, and eating. She loves Jesus and every day is a new lesson in taming her sass so she can better love her neighbor. Her happy places include bookstores, New York City, and airports, and she aspires to work in the performing arts industry upon graduation.” I know you will enjoy her blog. http://kristengracebennett.wordpress.com
Pam Watts a friend and fellow author is a busy mother of four active children. According to her own testimony she “can't help but write about adventures in parenting--her life and family provide a constant source of material! Pam loves viewing everyday life through the lens of God’s extraordinary truth on her blog ‘God is My Compass.’" I’m confident you will find wisdom and joy! www.pamrichardswatts.wordpress.com.



No comments:
Post a Comment