5.20.2009

A Walk Down Memory Lane...or Wading Through Memory Creek

Wesley and I are a part of a group of RHS alumni who are getting our 10 year reunion together this summer. Part of that process has been to look for pictures for a slide show we will present at the dinner. What memories it has brought back! Some good and some….well, let’s just say that now I understand that I didn’t really know as much as I thought I did or what was truly best for myself. I am struck by God’s grace and mercy as I have seen His mighty hand guiding our lives at every turn.

Most of my high school pictures also contain Wesley. Yes, we were high school sweethearts, and because of that I am amazed at what God has done in our lives. We have officially known each other for at least 16 or 17 years, been in a relationship of some kind for 12, and married for almost 6. I am so thankful.

I spent most of the day contemplating how far we’ve come. I realized several things about life. Here are a few of those thoughts in no particular order:
  1. Time goes by really, really, really fast.
  2. I was not fat in high school--even though I believed I was.
  3. Wesley was and still is very skinny.
  4. Wesley is really glad that ankle socks became more popular (me too).
  5. We really do lose our hair (at least my husband did) as we get older.
  6. I'm not as excited about fishing as I was when we took these pictures.
  7. Wesley made and continues to make me more adventurous.
  8. Even though I thought Wesley was hot stuff when we were teenagers, Wesley truly is more handsome to me today than when we were younger (I can't wait for him to have a little gray hair).
  9. I love him more now than I ever could have dreamed when we were kids.
  10. He is still my very best friend in the entire world.

The pictures below are some from one of our most favorite dates in high school. We went to Gatesville, fished at a friend's ranch, ate at a little diner in town and then went to the drive in movie theater. We saw "Never Been Kissed" with Drew Barrymore as Josie Geller. Just so you know, we did NOT name our daughter after her character and we hope she will never be called "Josie Grossie".
















Up until this particular date I thought that Wesley was a guy I might want to marry someday, but after this day, I knew it with all my heart.

Thank you, Jesus, for your gift. Thank you for our life together on this earth. I know you are the One who makes it possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i loved walking down memory lane with you...what a neat, neat story you guys share!!