9.15.2011

A New (to me) Bible Study!!!

Have you ever had one of those moments where you KNOW God completely orchestrated something? I've heard some people call them "divine appointments". Well, whatever they are, they are thrilling!

A few weeks ago I was in kind of a slump in every area of my life...physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I was recovering from being in a car accident, trying to get ready to send my baby off to Kindergarten, attempting to prepare myself to go back to school, wondering where I fit in the world....blah, blah, blah...mix that in with some hormones...you get the picture (and I'm sure you've been there!).

Anyway, while I was doing some back to school shopping with my mom, my friend Kim spotted me from waaaaaaaay out in the parking lot. She called out and walked quickly toward me with open arms. As she met me with a HUGE embrace she said, "Ohhhh, I've missed you. I love you so much!" Well, that was just about enough to send me over the edge into tears...but not quite yet.

After a few moments of chit chat, she asked me what I've been doing for a Bible study lately. I had to honestly answer her with, "Well, it's kind of random right now..." and listed off a few things that proved that I had zero direction in my devotional time at the moment. Her response was, "Well, let's do a Bible study together!" That was it. I burst into tears.

 
Obviously,  she struck a nerve. After some discussion, prayer, and research over the next couple of weeks we settled on a study called, "No Other Gods: Confronting Our Modern-Day Idols" by Kelly Minter.

We meet once a week to discuss the week's material and usually there is some sort of food and/or sweet beverages involved. This week we met at my house and Kim brought me sweet Tea from Bush's Chicken. Mmmmmm.

I have to say I love this girl, and not because she brought me straight sugar in its liquefied form. She is brilliant and passionate about Jesus. She is also not afraid to push me...hard. She asks me the tough questions and makes me evaluate myself, my motives, and just plain makes me want to love Jesus more.

So, anyway, this study has been a huge blessing. The author has no qualms about stepping on your toes! We are definitely working through some really difficult things, and I cannot even begin to tell you how liberating it has been to be able to identify the things I place on pedistals and in my own way bow down to worship them. But nothing is as liberating as demolishing those idols and returning to the One True God who is full of Love and is the only One who has the power to give freedom.

Just as a little something extra to encourage you to evaluate your own heart, you can take a look at this video from Breakaway Ministries. I had heard it months ago, but it had a completely fresh message for me after beginning this study.





What Are Your Idols? from Breakaway Ministries on Vimeo.

No comments: