12.20.2014

Nerdy Birthday

Just in case you haven't realized this, we are a family of nerds. Big ones. In fact, I'm a little worried about how proudly my son owns his nerdiness.

I'm not sure if you remember that our kids' birthdays are back to back and we typically have family parties like the Star Wars party we had a few years ago. Well this year we decided to have another theme. Are you ready for this?

Doctor Who.

Yup. If there was ever any doubt about what nerds we are, we have now forever marked ourselves.

I have corrupted inspired my kids who are proud little Whovians. (Of course, we are very selective in which episodes we allow them to watch!) I must admit, Wesley isn't really a fan but is a very good sport and puts up with all of our antics--probably because he's just as nerdy in other ways (I mean CPA, um hello!)

If you are one of the many who may read this and ask, "What is that? Doctor Who?" I am sorry. I am so, so sorry. You will either enjoy laughing at this post and the weirdness of our family or you will never come back here again.

Doctor Who is a British science fiction television show that has been on for 50 years. It is one of the most popular shows in the UK, arguably more so than Downton Abbey! In a nutshell, it's about a man (Time Lord) who travels in time and space saving the universe in his blue police box. He has a particular interest in the UK and always has a friend or companion traveling with him--often getting him out of scrapes...oh and he has two hearts.


These are Doctors 9, 10, 11, and 12. Yes, they're all the same person. No, I will not explain how regeneration works.



There's honestly too much to say and I'm sure I've lost most of you by this point, but if you're really curious you can waste invest your time learning more here.

But I will give you this quote about this unlikely superhero from the show's current head writer, Steven Moffat (who also writes the BBC's Sherlock):

“It's hard to talk about the importance of an imaginary hero. But heroes ARE important: Heroes tell us something about ourselves. History tells us who we used to be, documentaries tell us who we are now; but heroes tell us who we WANT to be. And a lot of our heroes depress me. 


But when they made this particular hero, they didn't give him a gun--they gave him a screwdriver to fix things. They didn't give him a tank or a warship or an x-wing fighter--they gave him a box from which you can call for help. And they didn't give him a superpower or pointy ears or a heat-ray--they gave him an extra HEART. They gave him two hearts! And that's an extraordinary thing. There will never come a time when we don't need a hero like the Doctor.” 


So without further ado, here are the pictures from that very special day.






















Biological meta-crisis Doctors (i.e. clone)





No comments: