I absolutely love Wesley Brooks. He is the earthly love of my life! I was so overwhelmed this morning that I decided I HAD to boast in the LORD because of HIS amazing gift called "Wesley."


I will not attempt to brag on Wesley because of anything he does of his own power, but I know he would not want me to if I tried. He would be the first to tell you that without Jesus he is nothing but sinful man (and some days I might be the second). And that is the first thing I'm thankful for about him--his heart to increase Jesus and decrease himself.
We were talking last night about how busy we've been, but by the end of our conversation we concluded that we could redefine it as "life to the full." Let me explain. Last week I had two nights in a row that I needed to do some very important stuff and he took great care of the kids without complaining--even when Caleb had been diagnosed with Pneumonia. Then this week (yes, it's only Wednesday) he dropped everything to go help paint a friends' house who's family is about to go be missionaries in Europe; followed by leading a downtown Bible study called Brother's Keeper for homeless men and women.
Now, don't think for a second that he is neglecting his family. Once again, we give God praise and glory for how HE is the sole provider of a precious commodity called time. Wesley told me last night how even though his job might not be the most "prestigious" he couldn't ask for anything better because he realized that he couldn't participate in all the opportunities God gives him if he still worked in a big accounting firm. For example, he works until 4 and then last night was able to come home and play with his kids for a a couple of hours, eat dinner and then go lead Bible study. He had kind of an "AH-ha" moment. He said, "What in life is better than that? Who would WANT to work those extra few hours anyway if they didn't have to? Prestige has a price, and I'm not willing to pay it."
But, I can go on. He is a real man's man. He loves to fish, hunt, play and watch sports, BUT never puts those in front of his family. I know most men would say they don't, but Wesley really doesn't. He doesn't rush home from church in fear of missing the Cowboys, and if he misses all but the last quarter, he's ok with that. He understands that relationships are eternal and no one will remember the score of a game 20 years from now. I don't mind him watching sports or going hunting because he's not obsessed with them! He gives me no reason to be jealous of those things.
One last thing. He truly loves our family. He loves our kids and he's in love with me! We laugh because I tell him that he's a picture of God's grace to me and I know that can sound weird. What I mean is, he is a reminder that God gives us things we don't deserve because I don't deserve Wesley. I don't deserve to be his wife and yet I have the privilege to be just that.
I feel sorry for all these women who think that "submit to your husband" is a bad word choice for what God really meant in Ephesians 5 because there is such a freedom in it. Wesley (because of God's grace and mercy in his life) is learning to love me like Christ loves the church. Why would I ever want to be "liberated" from that?
THANK YOU, JESUS! THANK YOU, JESUS! THANK YOU, JESUS! YOU ARE SUCH A GOOD GOD! I WILL PRAISE YOU AND BOAST OF YOUR LOVE, GRACE, MERCY, AND POWER ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE! PRAISE YOU!
3 comments:
Yay for Uncle Weez!
I didn't know Caleb had pneumonia!!! YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO CALL YOUR SISTER-IN-LAW WHEN THINGS LIKE THIS ARE GOING ON!!! :)
We are mending up nicely on this side of town so let me know if Josie needs a place to party!
-auntie jenna :P
So sweet and so true! I love your words of Biblical encouragement. I totally agree that having a husband who seeks after the things of the Lord is better than any earthly treasure. Love you girlfriend!
What a blessing you have in Wesley! It is so encouraging to know men of God who follow after His heart.
Post a Comment